Will Antivirus Software Make Me Untouchable
So, you’ve done the research and chosen an antivirus software package that is well-reviewed. It’s all installed. That means you’re cyber bullet-proof right? Wrong! You yourself are the most important part of your cyber security.
Antivirus software alone won’t protect you from all the dangers out on the web. It alone does not mean hackers can’t reach you.
- it will not help you if you ignore its recommendations and open that attachment or visit suspicious links
- it often will not detect the latest generations of financial malware and other more sophisticated drive-by techniques
- it can not protect you from even the simplest of phishing attacks
- it can not protect you from any recent threats if you do not constantly keep it’s virus signature database up to date
- it can not protect you from social engineering attacks
We are not saying that antivirus software is obsolete or unimportant. It is just not enough on its own. Good antivirus software is still an important part of your cyber security toolkit but it is just one piece. You can’t just install it and forget about everything else. Good cyber security is a package made up of good tools, good habits, and good education.
In the end, we all become a part of the human firewall as we develop our own home-grown culture of security 🙂
If you have more questions about these topics, please contact UTS and we’d be happy to offer what guidance we can. There is also a wealth of information to be found using your favourite search engine.