Is spam clogging your inbox?
Spam campaigns are often a primary attack vector used by cyber criminals. Less spam means being a little more secure.
Fortunately, it’s not all doom and gloom. There are a number of simple strategies you can take to weed out a lot of it and keep your inbox safer and less cluttered.
- unsubscribe from any unnecessary newsletters, or newsletters you have not read in some time
- be careful where you submit your email address, be it newsletters or contests or any other site
- consider opening an additional email account to keep your most important one safer and more private
- consider opening an additional email account just for newsletters
- take advantage of filters and mark spam emails as spam to help your email provider block spam more effectively
- never click on links in spam emails (even the ones that say unsubscribe)
- never download and open attachments in spam emails
- disable the automatic downloading of images in your emails
- enhance your privacy settings on social media sites so no one can see your email account
- if you have a website, protect your email address from automatically being scanned and harvested by spammers
Become your own human firewall and develop your home-grown culture of security 🙂
If you have more questions about these topics, please contact UTS and we’d be happy to offer what guidance we can. There is also a wealth of information to be found using your favourite search engine.